Adding fractions worksheets and lessons for kids
Adding fractions with same and different denominators
Adding fractions is the math topic for grade five students. Kids in grade five need to know how to add two or more fractions with the same denominators. It is very easy to add fractions with same denominators, as in this case only the numerators are added together to get the numerator of the answer. Denominator of the answer remains the same as of adding fractions.
We encourage kids to use a lot of fractions worksheets on adding fractions with same denominator to get perfect on this basic skill about fractions.
Once kids get comfortable with adding fractions with same denominators, the next step is to adding fractions with different denominators. The concepts is same, we need to convert all the fractions with the different denominators into equivalent fractions with the common denominator.
Once all the fractions with different denominators have been converted into equivalent fractions with the same denominator, then we can add the numerators of these fractions to get the answering numerator and again denominator remains the same as the common denominator.
One key skill is very important and that is, reducing fractions into lowest terms. All resulting fractions after addition or subtraction, should be in lowest terms. If the answering fraction is not in its lowest terms then it students’ responsibility to reduce it in its lowest terms.
Key math topics needed to learn adding fractions with and without same denominators:
It can be said that to add fractions with same denominators or different denominators, kids need to know the following key topics in math:
- Simple addition skills, so kids can add numerators easily.
- Times tables skills to convert each fraction into equivalent fraction by multiplying its numerator and denominator with the same number.
- Equivalent fractions knowledge, so that students can convert fractions with different denominators into equivalent fractions with the same denominators.
- Knowledge of reducing fractions into lowest terms.
- Key to reducing fractions into lowest terms is greatest common factor and kids should know how to find greatest common factor of two or more numbers.
- Another key skill for adding fractions with whole numbers and mixed numbers. Add whole number parts and then addition of proper fractional part same way as done in previous steps.
Hence addition of fractions can be done in two steps; adding fractions with like denominators and second but very important part is adding fraction with different denominators. We’ll discuss both of these skills about adding fractions in two separate parts of this site, so stay tuned as more fractions worksheets and lessons are on their way.
Guru Angad Educational Team